Phonak Hearing Aids: Costs, Features and Models
Phonak hearing aids are one of the most popular brands. Phonak has been awarded for its innovative and conscious designs. Each of the models by Phonak have unique features that one can choose from, tailoring to their needs and expectations.
Phonak was founded in 1947 in Zurich, Switzerland. In 2007, the company renamed itself to Sonova Holding AG, or Sonova Group. Phonak is a flagship brand of the Sonova Group. It has been a leading manufacturer of hearing aids, not to mention being the oldest company in the industry. The Phonak is one of the “Big 6” that share 98% market share in the hearing aids industry.
Pros and Cons of Choosing Phonak Hearing Aids
Phonak is one of the premium brands that manufactures hearing aids. However, there are pros and cons to using Phonak hearing aids, as listed below:
The pros of buying Phonak include the following:
- Offers free online hearing test
- Ongoing support of audiologists or hearing aid specialists
- Featured with advanced technology such as Bluetooth connectivity, tinnitus management, noise reduction and more.
- Hearing aid models available specifically for children
- Some private health plans may cover the cost
The cons of buying Phonak hearing aids include the following:
- Offers limited one-year warranty
- No fix cost – varies depending on where or from whom you purchase
- Available with a pre-determined network of audiologists/hearing aid centers
Things to know before purchasing Phonak hearing aids
Phonak manufactures hearing aids that can be categorized as: in-the-ear (ITE), behind-the-ear (BTE) and receiver-in-the-canal (RIC). The cost of these hearing aids, depending on the model you choose ranges from $1,200 to $6,000. Each model of Phonak has different versions with varying availability of features. These versions are available at four technology levels – 90, 70, 50, and 30, with 90 being the most advanced and 30 being the most basic.
Phonak hearing aids, as with other hearing aids, have a life expectancy of three to seven years. This is, however, subjective to variables such as built of the hearing aid, maintenance, wear and tear, etc.
One important thing to know about Phonak hearing aids is that Phonak sells through an associated network of audiologists and hearing care centers. It is likely that you may be required to change your audiologist if buying hearing aids by Phonak. The hearing care professional will provide you with detailed Instructions on using and maintaining your hearing aids. Additionally, you can find user guides to download and maintenance videos for your specific model on the Phonak website.
Now let us dive into the different types of hearing aids that Phonak has to offer.
In-the-ear (ITE) hearing aids
Phonak Virto Paradise is the only model that is custom made for you. Since the device is custom built, it fits the shape of your ear comfortably and is almost invisible. This makes the Virto Paradise a discreet option to choose, which we have found to be an appealing factor, especially for the younger generation. The average cost, from what we have found, per pair ranges between $1,500 and $4,000.
This model offers Bluetooth compatibility, along with hands-free calling options. It is best for people suffering from mild to severe hearing loss. Each model comes with features for tinnitus management.
The Virto Paradise is available in four main versions (mentioned below) and an array of colours for a discreet and stylish appearance.
Versions of Phonak Virto Paradise:
- Virto P10 NW 0 – customized, 10 zinc air battery, invisible
- Virto P-312 NW 0 – customized
- Virto P-312 – customized, 312 zinc air battery, wireless, direct connectivity, hands-free calls
- Virto P-Titanium – customized, 10 zinc air battery, truly invisible
This model comes with a traditional, non-rechargeable battery. The Phonak Virto Paradise is compatible with the myPhonak App and microphone accessories by Roger Technology that are specifically designed for noisy social situations.
Behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aids
CROS Paradise (CROS P)
The CROS (Contralateral Routing of Signal) Paradise model is specifically designed for those suffering from unilateral (single ear) hearing loss. The CROS P uses AutoSense OS 4.0 (Phonak’s trademark operating system). It senses your surroundings and adjusts your hearing aid accordingly, allowing you to gain a better speech understanding. The average range of cost per pair for this model, based on our research, is $1,200 to $4,000.
CROS P is used along with the Phonak Audéo Paradise. The CROS P is placed in the ear with impaired hearing and Audéo Paradise in the ear with less impaired hearing:
- The CROS comes with a microphone which acts as a transmitter. It wirelessly transmits sounds and voices from the ear with impaired hearing to the ear with less impaired hearing.
- The Audéo Paradise hearing aid acts as a receiver for the sounds transmitted by the CROS. This allows you to hear better through the ear with less impaired hearing via the hearing aid.
The key features of CROS Paradise include:
- Option between rechargeable and non-rechargeable models
- Universal connectivity to smartphones, TV, Roger microphones
- Streaming media content from any Bluetooth enabled, Android or iOS devices
- Hands-free calling and activating voice assistant apps with Tap Control
- Easy to use
- Available in eight colours to suit your need for discretion and style
Two versions are available for this hearing aid:
The CROS P-R:
- Comes with a built-in rechargeable battery, offering up to 12.5 hours of hearing from both sides.
- Can be paired with an Audéo P-R or an Audéo P-RT, which is worn on the ear with less impaired hearing.
- Offers connectivity with Roger microphones, which aid in streaming sounds and voices directly to the hearing aids.
- Comes with a replaceable 13 zinc air battery, which gives an extended battery life.
- Can be paired with an Audéo P-13T, worn on the ear with less impaired hearing.
The Phonak Bolero Marvel is the least expensive of all Phonak hearing aids. This model is best if you are suffering from mild to severe hearing loss. You can easily connect your hearing aid to your sound systems in public places without any interruptions with the telecoil or t-coil in the hearing aid. This allows you to experience hearing clear, rich sounds. Additionally, your hearing aids easily adjust with the surrounding sounds by using the AutoSense OS 3.0.
The average price range for this model, based on our research, is $1,000 to $4,000. The model is available in nine different colours to suit your needs for discretion and style. The Bolero Marvel is comfortable to wear all day with the dimensions of 10mm x 12mm x 35mm (length x width x height), and feels slightly heavier than a US Penny at 0.08 to 0.1 ounces.
This model is available in two versions:
Bolero M-M – disposable, 312 zinc air battery & Bolero M-PR – built-in rechargeable battery
The features common between both versions include:
- Bluetooth connectivity with smartphones and other Bluetooth enabled devices, such as TV
- Connectivity with Roger microphones and other Phonak hearing accessories
- Compatible with myPhonak app – remote control, remote support, device status
- Features tinnitus management
- Push button for volume, program, or mute control
The Naida Paradise is available in eight different colours. The average price range, from what we know, for the model is $1,800 to $4,000. This hearing aid is fairly visible at the dimensions of 36.7mm x 16.4 mm x 8.5mm (length x width x height). It weighs about half the weight of a quarter at 0.09 to 0.11 ounces.
The key features common to all Naida Paradise models are:
- Universal connectivity with Bluetooth enabled devices, Android and iOS
- Allows you to adjust background noise based on your preferences and comfort with dynamic noise cancellation
- Amplifies soft sounds/voices with the new speech enhancer
- Equipped with PRISM sound processing chip – doubles the memory and provides better connectivity with Bluetooth enabled devices
- Compatible with myPhonak app – remote control, remote support, and device status
- Compatible with Roger microphones and other Phonak hearing accessories
- Tinnitus management
The two Naida Paradise models with its distinctive features:
Naida P-UP – severe to profound hearing loss, replaceable 675 battery, telecoil (connect your hearing aids to your sound systems without interruptions in public places)
Naida P-PR – for mild to severe hearing loss, built-in rechargeable battery, Tap Control, detects your movements when listening and adjusts your hearing aid microphones along with noise cancellation settings with Motion Sensor Hearing for better speech understanding
The Sky Marvel is specifically designed for children. It is available in a wide range of colours, allowing children to mix and match according to their preferences. The price range for this model, based on research, is between $1,200 and $3,000.
The key features of Sky Marvel are:
- Equipped with operating system designed specifically for noisy environments – classrooms, playgrounds
- Are comfortable and safe for wearing all day
- Comes with tamperproof ear hook and battery door, designed specifically for children’s energetic and outdoor lifestyle
- Direct connectivity with Bluetooth enabled devices, Android and iOS
- Compatible with Roger microphones
- Compatible with myPhonak Junior app
The myPhonak Junior app includes following features:
- Connecting remotely with a hearing care professional for video appointments
- Real-time adjustments of the hearing aids
- Scheduling consultations without kids having to miss school or important activities
- Tracking average wear time for devices that are rechargeable
- Monitor wear time, allowing kids to have a sense of ownership of their hearing journey
- State of charge for rechargeable devices’ batteries
- Configure auto charging for rechargeable devices
- Configure Bluetooth enabled phone calling
- Allows kids to create personalized app profile – name, profile photo, colour theme
- Rename hearing aids and choosing new colours for the device
- Helps kids built a connection with their device
- Easy-to-understand features (for kids)
- Child-friendly tips and tricks, icons, and FAQs at a child’s knowledge level
- Allows parents to set up a password
- Allows parents to restrict access to remote support, auto-on feature, Bluetooth bandwidth
- Be part of the process as your child uses the app
Four versions of the Sky Marvel are available:
Sky M-PR – for mild to severe hearing loss, built-in rechargeable battery that lasts longer
Sky M-M – for mild to moderate hearing loss, less visible with compact dimensions, replaceable battery
Sky M-SP – for mild to profound hearing loss, enhanced hearing capacity with higher amplification of sounds/voices, replaceable battery
Sky Link M – for moderate to profound hearing loss, only model that can be used along with a cochlear implant, replaceable battery
Audéo Paradise has several advanced features recently introduced by Phonak. The average price range of this model, from our research, is $1,200 to $5,000. The model is about the size of a HB #2 pencil, at the dimensions of 8mm (length) x 12mm (width) x 30.5 (height), making it fairly comfortable to wear. It is also comfortably light weight at about 0.04 to 0.08 ounces.
The key features of this model are:
- Push button – program, volume, audio streaming control
- Bluetooth connectivity with smartphones, TV
- Hands-free calling and access to voice assistants with Tap Control
- Personalized noise cancellation
- Tinnitus management
- Compatible with Roger Technology and other Phonak hearing accessories
This model has six versions:
Audéo PR-Fit – for mild to severe hearing loss, rechargeable battery, available in three colours, compatible with myPhonak app
Audéo P-RL – for mild to profound hearing loss, waterproof (can wear while swimming, taking a walk in the rain), sweatproof (protection against body sweat), in-built rechargeable battery, Tap Control
Audéo P-RT – for mild to profound hearing loss, telecoil, built-in rechargeable battery, track health data with myPhonak app, Tap Control
Audéo P-13T – for mild to profound hearing loss, replaceable 13 zinc air battery, telecoil
Audéo P-312 – for mild to profound hearing loss, replaceable 312 zinc air battery, direct connectivity to Bluetooth enabled, Android and iOS devices
Audéo Lumity was launched in August, 2022 by Phonak. This model comes in eight different colours to suit your needs for style and discretion. Based on our research, the average price range for Audéo Lumity appears to be between $2,400 to $5,000.
The key features common across all versions of Audéo Lumity include the following:
- All versions of this model are best for mild to profound hearing loss.
- Hear sounds/voices that are soft or coming from your sides/rear better with Phonak’s latest AutoSense OS 5.0. This operating system uses artificial intelligence. It combines numerous features – motion sensor, noise cancellation, directional microphones (microphones from both hearing aids in case you have binaural fitting), and enhances the accuracy of your hearing aids over time.
- Enhance the focus of your hearing aids on soft sounds/voice when in a noisy environment with the new StereoZoom 2.0 technology that Phonak has introduced. You can increase the focus of your hearing aid using the “Speech Focus” slider in the myPhonak app. This will allow you to hear and be part of a conversation with ease.
- With Audéo Lumity, you can now hear speech coming from your sides or rear better with the new SpeechSensor technology. It uses the microphones in your hearing aids in order to achieve this. As a result, it reduces the noises coming from the front so you can focus better on the ones coming from your sides/rear.
- All models have built-in rechargeable batteries.
- They offer universal connectivity with iOS, Android, and all Bluetooth enabled devices. You can connect up to eight devices while having two simultaneous active connections.
- You can easily control volume, your hearing aid program, audio streaming, activate voice assistants, and accept/end calls with the Tap Control functionality.
- All models are compatible with the myPhonak app – remote control, remote support, health tracker, and device status.
The three versions of this model with its distinctive features are:
- Audéo L-R
- Audéo L-RT – equipped with telecoil or t-coil
- Audéo L-RL – is waterproof
You can use the myPhonak app as a remote control, which allows you to:
- Control volume
- Create preferred settings and programs for your hearing aids, and
- Control noises from your sides and back, focusing on the voice in front with the Speech Focus slider
- Automatically activate previous stream from your phone or TV after a phone call from memory.
The app also allows you to get remote support:
- Remote video support from your hearing care professional
- Test your hearing aids with your hearing care professional
- Adjust your hearing aids in real-time while you’re in a restaurant, at work, in meetings or at school.
myPhonak allows you to check device status:
- Check the status of your hearing aids and connected hearing accessories
- Set up and configure Bluetooth and Tap Control
- Manage your hearing aid program – edit, delete or add information
- Check the status of your battery (state of charge)
MyPhonak app also allows you to keep track of your health (a new addition to the app):
- Track your heart rate, steps, distance walked or ran
- Customize your goals for wearing time of the hearing aids and steps
Phonak, as you can see, offers a wide range of hearing aids. The cost of Phonak hearing aids, however, is determined by the audiologist or hearing care professional you consult. The average range of the hearing aids is between $1,200 to $5,000. Book an appointment with an audiologist now, find the right hearing aid for you, and embark on your hearing journey!